This three-year programme is designed to equip you for a successful career in the accountancy profession or financial sector, or for a financial role in industry or government.The BA/BSc (Hons) Finance and Accounting degree is specifically designed for those students who wish to go on, after graduation, to become a qualified accountant in order to pursue a career, either in professional practice, or in corporate finance. A degree in accounting and finance has long been viewed as an excellent grounding for a career in business, regardless of whether you intend to become a professionally qualified accountant or not.
This blend of specific accounting and finance modules with a wider understanding of business gives you both a strong theoretical foundation in the subject and an appreciation of how accounting and finance are applied in real-world business situations. For students that are already considering undertaking a professional accounting qualification, the degree has been structured to provide the maximum possible number of exemptions (9 foundations papers in total) from the professional examinations of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the global body for professional accountants.
BA/BSc (Hons) Finance and Accounting
Whether you want to move into auditing, financial reporting, management accounting or financial services, this could be the course for you. You’ll develop subject-specific skills alongside important transferable skills like communication, enterprise, problem solving and quantitative analysis.
The BA/BSc (Hons) Finance and Accounting degree syllabus has also been carefully designed to combine both theoretical and practical aspects of finance and accountancy. This enables students to gain an excellent grounding in accounting and finance tools and techniques together with the wider understanding and real-world insights required by all finance professionals.
This programme also delves into various aspects of business operations, from the challenges of managing people, processes and customers to the way organisations operate within a global political, legal and social environment. The demand for qualified accounting and finance professionals continues to grow internationally. The course offers you a route into the financial professions, as well as fostering skills that are vital to a range of careers in business. This blend of specific accounting and finance modules with a wider understanding of business gives you both a strong theoretical foundation in the subject and an appreciation of how accounting and finance are applied in real-world business situations.
Course Length: 3 years / 4 years including Foundation year;
Start dates: January / May / September;
There is a wide range of career opportunities for graduates, including both public and private sector. This course is ideal if you are planning to obtain a professional qualification after graduation and become an accountant, or if you wish to pursue a career within accounting, finance or banking sector.
You can further your career in professions such as:
- Forensic Accountant
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounting Director/Manager
- Accounting/Accounts Supervisor
- Accounting Vice President
- Assistant Director Of Finance
- Audit Supervisor
- Budget Analyst/Manager
- Certified Public Accountant
- Chief Accounting/Financial Officer
- Compliance Auditor
- Contracts And Financial Compliance Manager
- Corporate Accountant
- Cost Accountant
- Credit Analyst
- Management Accountant
- Payroll Manager/Analyst
- Director Of Financial Operations
- Corporate Investment Banker
- Insurance Underwriter
- Management Consultant
- Risk Manager
- Actuarial Analyst
- Internal Auditor
- Company Secretary
- Forensic Accountant
- Data Analyst
- Licensed Conveyancer
- Management Consultant
- Purchasing Manager
- Retail Banker
- Financial Consultant/Analyst
- Financial Assurance Manager/Specialist
- Senior Budget/Financial Analyst
- Senior Cash Management Analyst
- Financial Engineer
- Minimum Age: 18 years old;
- Applicants are required to submit proof of prior certificated learning (e.g. Secondary School Diploma/Baccalaureate/Level 3 qualification) and/or relevant work experience;
- Applications from mature candidates without formal qualifications are welcomed provided they could demonstrate appropriate levels of relevant ability and experience.
- If you are unable to meet the entry requirements for this course you may still be eligible for our Foundation year course. This is an extra year of study to prepare you for the full degree.
- Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language.
- Applicants must bring their original certificates when coming for registration;
- Business Environment
- Business Skills
- Business Planning
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Cost and Management Accounting
- The Accountant in Business
- Business and Company Law
- The Economic Environment
- Legal Aspects of Business
- Managing Business Performance
- Financial Reporting for Business
- Taxation for Business
- Financial Management
- Management Accounting/Decision Making
- Accounting Software and Models
- Financial Environment
- Financial Management in Organisations
- Business Strategy
- Financial Auditing
- Major Project
- Advanced Accounting Theory and Practice
- Audit and Forensic Investigations
- Corporate Finance
- Accounting Project
* The units can vary, depending on the chosen pathway or optional modules which your institution will choose for the course structure.
Over the duration of your course a range of assessment techniques will be used. Types of assessment include; essays, assignments, exams, multiple choice tests, online tests, group reports, and portfolio work. The weighting between exams and coursework varies between modules and years, but exams still play a major role.
After completing your undergraduate degree, if you decide to enhance your career prospects even further you can apply for a postgraduate Master program. For more information regarding progression please contact Atlantic London.
The Tuition Fee of the course will vary depending on the institution you wish to study in, as well as your status in the UK. The course is available for UK/EU and International Students as well. Please contact us to find out the tuition fee for a specific course you’d like to know about.
Government Funds – Student Finance England
If you are an UK/EU citizen or living in the UK on Indefinite stay, you can receive support from the government via Student Loan Company to cover tuition fees and some living costs while studying, depending on your circumstances. Tuition fee loans, to cover the full cost of your course, are paid directly to the course provider. Maintenance loans can be applied for at the same time, lending you money at the start of each term. You won’t have to pay back the loan until after your course, when you’re earning above a certain level. Students can still apply for grants if they’re eligible for certain benefits, disabled, or need help with childcare costs.