Health and Social Care is, above all, about supporting people – working passionately, intensely and deeply to address the needs of individuals, their families and communities.
The demand for skilled health and social care workers is higher than ever before.
Roles, practices and activities within the health and social care sector are rapidly changing and increasing as a rising variety of supports are offered in the community and at home as a result of the fact that people are living longer and have more diverse and complex demands.
BA (Hons) in Health and Social Care is specifically designed to focus on gaining the abilities to allow and support vulnerable people to live an independent, active and healthy life, as well as responding effectively to their demands.
The course will give students a deep understanding of policies and trends, social and psychological approaches and critical issues in both child and adult care.
It will also prepare students to make a positive impact within the sector and on the way services are delivered towards vulnerable people.
The course will equip students with both the knowledge and practical experience to adapt and work in more flexible ways after graduation. Furthermore, students will have the opportunity of practicing their skills in real-life situations, which will give them a crucial experience in a range of settings – from individual circumstances to community projects.
Course length: 3 years; 4 years (Foundation Year)
Start date: June, September
- Local authority, HNS and multi-agency teams working with children, young people and adults
- Homelessness and social housing services
- Refugee and asylum-seeker support agencies
- Appropriate adult and advocacy work
- Health promotion services
- Community mental health teams
- Intensive family support teams
- Residential and nursing care management
- Commissioning and care management teams
- Care coordinator management
- Minimum Age: 18 years old
- Applicants are required to submit proof of prior certification (i.e., Secondary School Diploma/Baccalaureate/Level 3 qualification) and/or relevant work experience.
- Applications from mature candidates without formal qualifications are welcomed if they could demonstrate appropriate levels of relevant ability and experience.
- If you are unable to meet the entry requirements for this course you may still be eligible for our Foundation year course. This is an extra year of study to prepare you for the full degree.
- Overseas learners must demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of English language.
- Applicants must bring their original certificates at the moment of registration.
- Ways of knowing
- Health policy and social trends
- Understanding physical health conditions
- Working with people
- Psychological approaches to care
- Social approaches to health and wellbeing
- Critical issues in adult care
- Safeguarding children
- Practice based learning 1 (placement- double module)
- Researching health and social care
- Public health and health promotion
- Independent study (double module)
- Practice based learning 2 (placement- double module)
- Managing people, services and resources
- Resourcing and social enterprise in health and social care
The course is assessed in terms of both theory and practice through assessments including practical implementations, reports, essays, presentations and examinations. Most modules are designed to develop problem solving techniques and interpersonal skills and many provide the opportunity for group work. There are no exams.
After completing your undergraduate degree, if you decide to enhance your career prospects even further you can apply for a postgraduate Master program. For more information regarding progression please contact Atlantic London.
The Tuition Fee of the course may vary depending on the institution you have chosen, as well as your status in the UK. The course is available for UK/EU and International Students as well.
Please contact us to find out the tuition fee for a specific course you’d like to know about.
Government Funds – Student Finance England
If you are an UK/EU citizen or living in the UK on Indefinite stay, you can receive support from the government via Student Loan Company to cover tuition fees and some living costs while studying, depending on your circumstances.
Tuition fee loans, which cover the full cost of your course, are paid directly to the course provider.